Line of blinking dots when playing on Sega Multimega
qzar
2006-10-28 15:46:25 UTC
Hi,

I purchased a Sega Multimega off an auction, its supposed to only have
been used about three times. When playing most games a line of blinking
dots appear at the bottom part of the screen. CD or cartridge games
makes no diffrence and the problem seems mostly related to non playable
sequences and cutscenes.

Any ideas of a solution, simply cleaning the lens wouldnt help, would
it? The cart games are also affected as mentioned.
b***@gmail.com
2006-10-28 16:51:37 UTC
Post by qzar
Hi,
I purchased a Sega Multimega off an auction, its supposed to only have
been used about three times. When playing most games a line of blinking
dots appear at the bottom part of the screen. CD or cartridge games
makes no diffrence and the problem seems mostly related to non playable
sequences and cutscenes.
Any ideas of a solution, simply cleaning the lens wouldnt help, would
it? The cart games are also affected as mentioned.
That's totally normal.. It's how the VDP works in the Genesis,
specifically with the color palette..

That's my old TV tuner capture of my Genesis.. notice the junk at the
bottom...
BelPowerslave
2006-10-28 18:57:56 UTC
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v395/Evilweredragon/sega.jpg
That's my old TV tuner capture of my Genesis.. notice the junk at the
bottom...
Totally normal? Man, that kind of sucks...you don't see that with a
conventional Genesis, X'eye unit. :( Are you sure it's not just a bad AV
Cable?

Bel
--
Whip Ass Gaming: http://www.whipassgaming.com/

"Time to rub your face in it...with my ass. I'm so much better than you."
- Trixie, Outlaw Volleyball
qzar
2006-10-28 19:58:42 UTC
Post by BelPowerslave
Post by b***@gmail.com
Post by qzar
[...]
I have tried with RF, Composite and RGB Scart, very sure its not
related to cables. Too bad if theres nothing to do about it even if I
am a bit relieved since it supposed to be normal.
b***@gmail.com
2006-10-28 22:49:04 UTC
As a Genesis programmer, and hacker, it's just how the VDP works..
Matter of fact, it's usually not viewable, because it usually gets
caught up in "overscan".. The JVC Xeye should show them too, it uses
the same VDP, you just may not see it because of overscan.. (modern TVs
and flat panels have less overscan, so it's more viewable these days)
Post by qzar
BelPowerslave
2006-10-30 03:37:15 UTC
Post by b***@gmail.com
As a Genesis programmer, and hacker, it's just how the VDP works..
Matter of fact, it's usually not viewable, because it usually gets
caught up in "overscan".. The JVC Xeye should show them too, it uses
the same VDP, you just may not see it because of overscan.. (modern TVs
and flat panels have less overscan, so it's more viewable these days)
Man, I'm glad I can't see it...it'd drive me nuts!

Bel

- Trixie, Outlaw Volleyball
Scott H
2006-10-30 23:21:50 UTC
Post by BelPowerslave
Post by b***@gmail.com
As a Genesis programmer, and hacker, it's just how the VDP works..
Matter of fact, it's usually not viewable, because it usually gets
caught up in "overscan".. The JVC Xeye should show them too, it uses
the same VDP, you just may not see it because of overscan.. (modern TVs
and flat panels have less overscan, so it's more viewable these days)
Man, I'm glad I can't see it...it'd drive me nuts!
Bel
Yeah, I don't know how this is visible, it should be off the screen for
him. I've noticed that my Genesis 2 will show this crud when I'm making
movies through my AiW, but not on a TV set. The OP might try fiddling
with the screen settings to see if he can't lower the screen about ten
pixels, so the line is no longer visible.
--
Scott

http://www.gamepilgrimage.com
BelPowerslave
2006-10-31 03:31:29 UTC
Post by Scott H
Post by BelPowerslave
Man, I'm glad I can't see it...it'd drive me nuts!
Bel
Yeah, I don't know how this is visible, it should be off the screen for
him. I've noticed that my Genesis 2 will show this crud when I'm making
movies through my AiW, but not on a TV set. The OP might try fiddling
with the screen settings to see if he can't lower the screen about ten
pixels, so the line is no longer visible.
Oh, hey, that's true, I've also seen them back when I was getting video
off stuff with the AiW card. I wonder what it is that makes the AiW show
that...

Bel

- Trixie, Outlaw Volleyball
b***@gmail.com
2006-10-31 17:36:59 UTC
Post by BelPowerslave
Post by Scott H
Post by BelPowerslave
Man, I'm glad I can't see it...it'd drive me nuts!
Bel
Yeah, I don't know how this is visible, it should be off the screen for
him. I've noticed that my Genesis 2 will show this crud when I'm making
movies through my AiW, but not on a TV set. The OP might try fiddling
with the screen settings to see if he can't lower the screen about ten
pixels, so the line is no longer visible.
Oh, hey, that's true, I've also seen them back when I was getting video
off stuff with the AiW card. I wonder what it is that makes the AiW show
that...
Bel
--
Whip Ass Gaming: http://www.whipassgaming.com/
"Time to rub your face in it...with my ass. I'm so much better than you."
- Trixie, Outlaw Volleyball
Because a TV tuner is not a CRT, it has little (virtual), or no
overscan at all...

Remember my screenshot above? It shows it.. Here's another one, that
shows how close to the graphics the dots are:

As I said, it's nothing to worry about, you can ignore it.. It's only
something that's been there for many years, people dealt with it then,
im sure we can deal with it now..
Scott H
2006-11-01 03:42:30 UTC
Post by b***@gmail.com
Post by BelPowerslave
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v395/Evilweredragon/segacapture.jpg
As I said, it's nothing to worry about, you can ignore it.. It's only
something that's been there for many years, people dealt with it then,
im sure we can deal with it now..
Okay, are we talking about PAL TVs, because I have never had to deal
with it before and don't intend to start now on my NTSC set.

b***@gmail.com
2006-11-01 04:09:27 UTC
Post by Scott H
Post by b***@gmail.com
Post by BelPowerslave
Post by Scott H
Post by BelPowerslave
[...]
On a PAL TV, if I am not mistaken, the dots get covered up as the
vertical resolution is higher, that it actually is RIGHT on the line,
so it's not visible..

So, only NTSC games are affected...
w***@yahoo.com
2006-11-01 04:52:36 UTC
Post by b***@gmail.com
Post by Scott H
Okay, are we talking about PAL TVs, because I have never had to deal
with it before and don't intend to start now on my NTSC set.
--
Scott
http://www.gamepilgrimage.com
On a PAL TV, if I am not mistaken, the dots get covered up as the
vertical resolution is higher, that it actually is RIGHT on the line,
so it's not visible..
So, only NTSC games are affected...
Okay, that is a very strange assertion then. I have never seen these
lines on any NTSC TV set, either at home, at friends houses, or in game
stores regardless of hardware iteration (Gen 1, Gen 2, X'eye, CDX, or
even 32X). The only time I've noticed them was when making video files
using my AiW capture card, and even then it wasn't in every game. If
it's always there, it isn't always visible on NTSC TVs.

-
Scott
b***@gmail.com
It's because of "overscan", it's usually covered...
b***@gmail.com
2006-11-01 07:57:13 UTC
Post by b***@gmail.com
Post by w***@yahoo.com
Post by b***@gmail.com
Post by Scott H
[...]
that's what im trying to say, it's not always going to be seeable on
TVs, because of OVERSCAN.

It's almost at the bottom of the picture, so most TVs get it hidden
under the frame of the TV...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overscan

Sometimes you can't see it, because it's even lower, depending on the
game, and how it uses the VDP, but it IS there...

If you really want to ALWAYS see it, get a TV tuner with a BT 878 (no
all-in-wonders!), and use DScaler, set the overscan to 0 on all
corners, and watch those dots appear EVERY time (that screenshot of
mine is from an BT 878 driven card with DScaler, which with that setup,
you get EVERYTHING on the picture, including the VBlank data on TV
broadcasts)..
w***@yahoo.com
2006-11-01 13:23:25 UTC
Post by b***@gmail.com
Post by w***@yahoo.com
Okay, that is a very strange assertion then. I have never seen these
lines on any NTSC TV set, either at home, at friends houses, or in game
stores regardless of hardware iteration (Gen 1, Gen 2, X'eye, CDX, or
even 32X). The only time I've noticed them was when making video files
using my AiW capture card, and even then it wasn't in every game. If
it's always there, it isn't always visible on NTSC TVs.
-
Scott
It's because of "overscan", it's usually covered...
So, in essence, we haven't always been dealing with it, because it's
rarely been visible. Shouldn't we have some method of determining what
kind of NTSC sets would expose this otherwise invisible effect?

-
Scott
b***@gmail.com
2006-11-02 01:03:23 UTC
Post by w***@yahoo.com
Post by b***@gmail.com
Post by w***@yahoo.com
Okay, that is a very strange assertion then. I have never seen these
lines on any NTSC TV set, either at home, at friends houses, or in game
stores regardless of hardware iteration (Gen 1, Gen 2, X'eye, CDX, or
even 32X). The only time I've noticed them was when making video files
using my AiW capture card, and even then it wasn't in every game. If
it's always there, it isn't always visible on NTSC TVs.
-
Scott
It's because of "overscan", it's usually covered...
So, in essence, we haven't always been dealing with it, because it's
rarely been visible. Shouldn't we have some method of determining what
kind of NTSC sets would expose this otherwise invisible effect?
-
Scott
You'd need to have a special pattern generator, that shows the proper
"overscan" area of yesteryear..

Since older TVs were never "flatscreen", or usually had "slightly
rounded edges", overscan was larger back in the days.. These days,
overscan is less, because the picture tube is actually the shape of the
picture, and thus those hidden things get exposed on some TVs..

Too fix it, you'd have to find the "service mode" on your TV, and make
the horizontal and vertical slightly larger.. But mind you, you can
seriously fry the tube, in Service Mode...

You have to just get used to it.. It's there, always has, and always
will.. If you're not a TV tech, you really should ignore it..

If it's a TV tuner card on a PC where it's visible, you need to find
the manual that came with your card.. I don't think the All-in-wonders
allow overscan modifications, because their chips are proprietary,
compared to PCI stand-alone cards that can be heavily hacked...
b***@gmail.com
2006-11-02 02:37:11 UTC
Here, this is the standard 8% overscan from yesteryear standards..

The area I darkened is what's normally hidden, behind the TV frame, or
in the overscan.. Notice the dots are there...

I don't know the standard these days, because since flat-screen TVs,
there isn't a standard really anymore, it's dependent on the
manufacturer.. (and I have seen some even do 16% overscan, which is
overkill
BelPowerslave
2006-11-03 18:53:23 UTC
Post by b***@gmail.com
If it's a TV tuner card on a PC where it's visible, you need to find
the manual that came with your card.. I don't think the All-in-wonders
allow overscan modifications, because their chips are proprietary,
compared to PCI stand-alone cards that can be heavily hacked...
Speaking of, do you have any TV Tuner card recommendations? I've been
needing to get another one ever since I sold off the AiW...and I was
thinking about the TV Wonder Elite, but am not sure.

Bel
--
Whip Ass Gaming: http://www.whipassgaming.com/

"Row, row, row your boat gently down the stream...whoa, I think my dingy
hanging out!"
- Lo Wang, Shadow Warrior
b***@gmail.com
2006-11-03 19:03:23 UTC
For non-HD gaming, I prefer any tuner with a BT-878 chip on it.. WinTV
and AverTV have those chips (though the AverTV has a poor grounding on
some models, but that was 3 years ago)..

When using a card with that chip, use DCaler, and when you select
overscan to 0 on all corners, you get a nice 1:1 pixel picture, so it's
perfect.. All-In-Wonders aren't great, they have an 5% overscan that
is locked, and not user-changable, and you can only really use THEIR
program with it..

(on DScaler, you don't even need the drivers to the card, it directly
communicates with the cards BT 878 chip...)

Be warned though, with DScaler, sound is always an issue.. But, if you
plug the console directly into the soundcard, you'll be fine..
- Lo Wang, Shadow Warrior
Scott H
2006-11-04 01:13:14 UTC
Post by b***@gmail.com
For non-HD gaming, I prefer any tuner with a BT-878 chip on it.. WinTV
and AverTV have those chips (though the AverTV has a poor grounding on
some models, but that was 3 years ago)..
When using a card with that chip, use DCaler, and when you select
overscan to 0 on all corners, you get a nice 1:1 pixel picture, so it's
perfect.. All-In-Wonders aren't great, they have an 5% overscan that
is locked, and not user-changable, and you can only really use THEIR
program with it..
Not that I intend to advocate AiWs, but Virtual Dub does work with it,
and has options for eliminating overscan to whatever degree you wish
(during the compression process).
Post by b***@gmail.com
(on DScaler, you don't even need the drivers to the card, it directly
communicates with the cards BT 878 chip...)
Be warned though, with DScaler, sound is always an issue.. But, if you
plug the console directly into the soundcard, you'll be fine..
I wish this would work with my AiW.

b***@gmail.com
2006-11-04 01:16:41 UTC
I'm not aware of Virtual Dub removing the overscan.. This I would need
to test for myself. If it does, cool!

DScaler however, is a much better program, and allows for LIVE viewing
(recording is the last thing it was intended for).. DScaler has MANY
de-interlacing algorithms, even one designed for 240p sources, called
Scott H
2006-11-05 02:43:19 UTC
Post by b***@gmail.com
I'm not aware of Virtual Dub removing the overscan.. This I would need
to test for myself. If it does, cool!
Yeah, it's not while just viewing, it's available as a feature while
encoding video files though.
Post by b***@gmail.com
DScaler however, is a much better program, and allows for LIVE viewing
(recording is the last thing it was intended for).. DScaler has MANY
de-interlacing algorithms, even one designed for 240p sources, called
"Old Game"...
Man I wish this one worked with the AiW cards....

b***@gmail.com
Scott H
2006-11-05 13:50:35 UTC
Post by b***@gmail.com
Does it only add overscan, or can it "remove" overscan? It sounds odd
to remove overscan from video files, as those have NO overscan at all..
When I take movie files with the AiW using Virtual Dub, they typically
come out at 720x480 with a decent flat color bar around the actual
display. When encoding, you can use a setting that will scale this bar
down or eliminate it all together. I'm not sure how that applies to the
"proper" use of the word overscan.

b***@gmail.com

BelPowerslave
2006-11-06 09:49:15 UTC
Post by b***@gmail.com
For non-HD gaming, I prefer any tuner with a BT-878 chip on it.. WinTV
and AverTV have those chips (though the AverTV has a poor grounding on
some models, but that was 3 years ago)..
When using a card with that chip, use DCaler, and when you select
overscan to 0 on all corners, you get a nice 1:1 pixel picture, so it's
perfect.. All-In-Wonders aren't great, they have an 5% overscan that
is locked, and not user-changable, and you can only really use THEIR
program with it..
(on DScaler, you don't even need the drivers to the card, it directly
communicates with the cards BT 878 chip...)
Be warned though, with DScaler, sound is always an issue.. But, if you
plug the console directly into the soundcard, you'll be fine..
I have a sound card(an Audigy) and though recording in Xbox footage at
720p or higher would be cool, it's not a necessity, so with that said do
you have any card, in specific, you could recommend? Like brand and
model no? About the only thing I've ever known were the AiW and TV
Wonder lines. I've been looking at the TV Wonder Elite lately...

Also, these others card, do they have the whole lag thing going on in
them that the AiW/TV Wonder series seem to have(where when you press a
direction on the controller, it takes a second for it to show on the
video being displayed/recorded on the PC)? I've never really been
unhappy with anything the AiW did in terms of recording, in fact I did
my entire MKG Fatality demo using just it and I think it came out great:

http://www.whipassgaming.com/genesisreviews/mkgdemo.htm

but the only thing I hated was that lag...really made it difficult to do
a lot of stuff(like combo training vids, etc).

Bel

- Lo Wang, Shadow Warrior
b***@gmail.com
2006-11-06 13:10:42 UTC
BT 878 based cards have nearly instant response.. But when recording
to the HD, usually have some lag, which is actually introduced by the
application (or DirectShow I believe)..

I haven't seen any latest model tuner cards, so I don't know.. I'm
used to the WinTV and AverTV Studio stuff.